Whether you’re newly married or someone who’s well versed in the ways of married life, there are always trials that you have to overcome and the first and foremost of all of them is maintaining a relationship with your mother in law. Sometimes things work out but other times there are situations where you have things you’d love to say but you can’t because, well, she’s your mother in law, right? Nevertheless, there are still some things that you just wish you could tell her:
1. I’m not perfect, but I’m trying my best
I might not know how to do everything that I have to with utter perfection, but that doesn’t mean that I’m not trying my best.
2. I may not be trained in housekeeping but the place is still clean
If I happen to miss a spot every now and then, it doesn’t mean that I want the place to be a mess.
3. I’m not trying to take your son away from you
Despite what your soaps might tell you, marriage doesn’t mean that he’ll love you any less or that it’s a competition between us. He loves both of us and you don’t need to worry about him loving you any less.
4. If you have something on your mind then tell me about it
If there’s something that you don’t like about me or something that bothers you about me then be free to tell me instead of letting me find out through others in the family.
5. Please don’t compare me to others
Sure their daughter knows how to do this and his wife can do that but comparing me to them isn’t fair. I’m not who they are and I want you to accept that.
6. Don’t lose your marbles if I mess up on a dish, I’ve made good ones before
Once in a while, everyone makes mistakes and if I happen to mess up while I’m trying something new in the kitchen then it’d be great if you don’t lose your cool.
7. My husband’s parents are as important to me as my own
Despite what you may have heard from others, I’m not your enemy and in truth I love you simply because you’re the mother of the person I have to spend the rest of my life with.
8. I respect you for your wisdom, but sometimes I have my own way of doing things
You probably have age old recipes and tricks that are brilliant, but sometimes I’d like to figure things out on my own and do them the way I want to.
9. Please don’t judge me for who I am
I may not be what you expected but I am what I was raised to be and if you will refrain from judging me then I’ll accept you for your quirks as well.
10. My life doesn’t simply revolve around my marriage
Being the perfect bahu and wife doesn’t always go along with my schedule, because marriage is just one part of my life and I have so much more to live for.
11. Don’t make your son chose between me and you
Sure there may be times when you and I are in conflicted positions but making your son chose between both of us is not the way to solve any problem.
12. I’m a part of your family too
Treating me like an outsider will only hurt me, I’d rather be treated like a daughter because we are part of one family and you have my love and respect.
13. Trust me when I say there’s something I’d like to do
From little things like adding an extra ingredient or to great things like buying a new house, I would love it if you trust me in the decisions that I make.
14. Sometimes, I just need a friend
A new house and a new family can be overwhelming at times, and it’s at times like these that I don’t need a mother in law but a friend to talk to.